Vinegar. It has become the darling of the DIY green housecleaning movement over the last few years. In fact, there are some folks out there that would have you believe there is nothing that vinegar can’t clean.
Don’t get me wrong. Vinegar is about as natural a cleaner as there is and it has it’s place in keeping your home cleaned in an eco-friendly way. That said, there are things that should never be cleaned with vinegar.
First and foremost among the things that should never be cleaned with vinegar is any type of stone counter. Vinegar is very acidic and as such will have a tendency to cause your stone to pit, corrode or even etch. If you have a granite or marble counter top you more than likely invested a good deal of money in it. It would be a shame to ruin that investment.
While vinegar is a great cleaner you should never confuse it for soap. When you have a greasy mess to clean up, alkaline cleaners like dish detergent are ideally suited to lift grease and other dirt. Your vinegar will have little to no effect on that greasy range hood.
We love that vinegar is an all-natural way to control insects attacking our plants, but be aware: The vinegar could also kill your plant, so never treat the plant directly with vinegar.
You should never use vinegar on waxed surfaces. Be it your car or your furniture, the acids in vinegar will only strip the wax and make whatever you are “cleaning” dull.
Your smartphone and laptop screens probably have a thin layer of oleophobic coating, which helps the screen to resist fingerprints and smudges. Again, back to the acid in vinegar, it will eat that coating away. Just say no, to cleaning phone and laptop screens with vinegar.
Finally, we have heard that vinegar is a natural way to kill mold and mildew. While there is some truth in this statement you should remember that both vinegar and bleach only kill surface mold and you should not expect it to completely remove and mold problems you might be having. Mold is sort of like an iceberg in the sense that it goes much deeper than what you may see on the surface. It’s always best to kill mold at it’s source, which is generally a leak or rotting drywall.