As any dog, cat, ferret, bunny or goldfish owner will tell you, our pets are our family just as much as our children or spouse are.
When we’re cleaning our homes we need to be sensitive to not only using things that could harm the rest of the family but also our four-legged family members. This mean knowing what is in our cleaning chemicals and avoiding those ingredients that could be harmful to our pets.
Did you know that your pet can have allergies, just like you can? It’s true! besides the usual suspects in allergies such as dust, dust mites and pollen your pet can have allergies to things like cigarette smoke, and fragrances and dyes in cleaning products and air fresheners. Symptoms that your pet is allergic to something in your home may not be the same as your red, watery eyes and runny nose. Usually a pet allergy will manifest itself as scratching, chewing and licking, sometimes to the point of creating open sores, which has its’ own nasty implications. An open sore on a pet can open it up to infection.
There are some chemicals that are just downright dangerous to your pet and oftentimes they are in the same products that we use to clean the areas our pets use the most.
According to the website eartheasy.com “Cleaning products with ingredients such as bleach, ammonia, chlorine, glycol ethers or formaldehyde can put pets at risk for cancer, anemia, liver and kidney damage.”
For example, chlorine is heavier than air, so even though your might be spraying your counter tops with a chlorine cleaning product, thinking that your dog won’t get up there, the chlorine will land on the floor. the same area your dog loves to lay on and, from time to time, lick.
There are a number of cleaning products on the market that are natural or eco-friendly. Choose your products wisely. ALL of your families’ health depends on it.